Monday, January 12, 2009

What are we going to tell our grandkids?

I have been thinking about this alot lately and I have come to the conclusion that we are in deep doo doo. All my life my great grandmother, my grandmother, my mother, and even my mil have told me stories about the "olden days". A loaf of bread was .05, a pack of cigarettes was .20, a gallon of gas was .15. At 33 I don't quite remember those times but I do remember when I started driving gas was .75 to maybe 1.00, a loaf of bread was like .60, a pack of cigarettes was 1.00, and a pound of hamburger was .89. I remember when I was a kid my parents bought their house for $50,000 and everyone called me a spoiled little rich bitch. My dad made $12.00 per hour and my mom was a waitress and made like $100.00 a day in tips and we lived very comfortably. My first job I made like $4.75 an hour and I thought I was rich (MW was like $3.25). I remember an expensive car payment was like $250.00 a month and you could get a really nice used car for $500.00. The part that worries me is what are we gonna tell our grandkids? And even worse then that what kind of legacy are we leaving for them? Are we actually gonna tell them that back in the good ole days we saw prices rise so much in 15 years that gas went from .75 to 4.75, a pound of hamburger went from .89 to 3.89, cigarettes went from 1.00 to 5.00. Are we going to have to tell them their used to be things like rice and flour that we used to eat? I guess the part that scares me the most is if these are the good ole days of the future what are our kids and grandkids going to be paying for this stuff. Are we going to send our kids to college so they can get degrees and get jobs and still be on food stamps? Are they going to buy $500,000 houses and live in the ghetto? Are they going to have to work until the day they die because they can't afford to retire? Where does this all end or does it? Have we screwed things up so bad that there is no coming back from this hell we have created? Are we all going to starve because the food we do produce is being made into fuel we can't afford to buy for cars we can't get credit to purchase? Are we going to start dying of things like the common cold because we can't afford to go to the doctor? Has our greed and excess ruined the world we are leaving behind? Is our legacy going to be the destruction of the human race?

No comments:

Post a Comment